Prosecutors in Britain have authorized additional charges against actor Kevin Spacey, including three counts of sexual assault related to incidents that took place between 2001 and 2004.
Rosemary Ainslie, head of the Crown Prosecution Service’s Special Crimes Division, said in a news release Wednesday that Spacey faces a total of seven additional charges, including “inducing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent” and three counts of indecent assault. . A CPS statement said the new charges relate to alleged sexual assault against a man.
Spacey, 63, already faces multiple sexual assault allegations in the United Kingdom. Officials announced in May that prosecutors had authorized it The criminal charges against the actor stem from alleged incidents involving three men between March 2005 and April 2013. In July, Spacey appeared in a UK court, where the actor’s lawyer said he “vehemently denies any and all criminality in this matter.” .” The trial is scheduled on June 6, 2023.
Spacey, the Oscar-winning actor, has seen his career decline since he was first accused of sexual misconduct in 2017. Actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed News that Spacey made sexual advances on him at a party when Rapp, now 51, was 14 years old. And Spacey was 26. After the article’s publication, Spacey a Social Media Statement He was “terrified” by the allegation but does not recall the alleged incident. “I offer my sincere apologies to him for what would have been inappropriate drunken behavior, as he described it, if I had acted as such,” Spacey wrote.
After the explosive BuzzFeed report, more than a dozen others accused Spacey of sexual misconduct, with some alleged incidents prompting legal action. In 2019, he pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of indecent assault and battery after he was accused of molesting an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket bar in 2016. The case was later dropped, with prosecutors citing “the unavailability of the complaining witness.” A California massage therapist accused Spacey of sexual assault and battery in 2018, but the case was dismissed after the accuser died before trial. Rapp sued Spacey in civil court in 2020, and the actor Alleging assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress.Last month, a New York jury found Spacey not liable in the $40 million lawsuit.
Spacey’s entertainment projects have been significantly curtailed by the allegations against him. He was fired in 2017 from Netflix’s “House of Cards,” for which he received 10 Emmy nominations before the show’s sixth season. In August, a Los Angeles judge ordered the disgraced actor to pay the producers of the political drama $30 million in damages and other fees.